Follow the link for more information. Jump to navigation Forex da 1 mm to inches to search Not to be confused with Aalburg, a municipality in the Netherlands. First mention “Alabu” written on coins c.
Denmark’s fourth largest city with an urban population of 136,000, including 22,000 in the twin city Nørresundby 600 meters across the Limfjord. The earliest settlements date to around AD 700. Aalborg’s position at the narrowest point on the Limfjord made it an important harbour during the Middle Ages, and later a large industrial centre. Architecturally, the city is known for its half-timbered mansions built by its prosperous merchants. The European Commission has concluded that the citizens of Aalborg are the most satisfied people in Europe with their city. The area around the narrowest point on the Limfjord attracted settlements as far back as the Iron Age leading to a thriving Viking community until around the year 1000 in what has now become Aalborg. Aalborg traces its history back over a thousand years.
It was originally settled as a trading post because of its position on the Limfjord. The sites of what were two settlements and a burial ground can be seen on Lindholm Høje, a hill overlooking the city. The first mention of Aalborg under its original name Alabu or Alabur is found on coins from c. 1075, Adam of Bremen reported that Alaburg, as he called it in German, was an important harbour for ships sailing to Norway. Aalborg’s earliest trading privileges date from 1342, when King Valdemar IV received the town as part of his huge dowry on marrying Helvig of Schleswig. In 1530 a large part of the town was destroyed by fire, and in December 1534 it was stormed and plundered by the king’s troops after a peasants’ revolt known as the Count’s Feud led by Skipper Clement. It resulted in the death of up to 2,000 people.
From the 1550s to the 1640s, as a result of increased foreign trade, Aalborg enjoyed great prosperity, second only to that of Copenhagen. The population grew in parallel with the development of many fine buildings in the city as merchants benefitted from their shipping routes from Norway to Portugal. In 1663, the city suffered yet another serious fire, which destroyed the tower of Budolfi Church. During the second half of the 18th century, Aalborg entered a further period of prosperity. Copenhagen, the best and most prosperous market town in Denmark”.
The population grew from 4,160 in 1769 to 5,579 in 1801. After Denmark ceded Norway to Sweden in 1814, Aalborg lost its important role as the country’s centre for Norwegian trade. Around the beginning of the 20th century, as a result of decisions taken by the municipality, many of the city’s half-timbered houses were torn down. They were replaced by hundreds of modern buildings, completely changing the look of the city. Factories with smoking chimneys became ever more prevalent in the outskirts. Aalborg Airport, officially opened in 1938 because of the success of the cement industry, had in fact operated flights to Copenhagen since 1936. By 1960, Aalborg had become known as the “city of smoking chimneys” with half of the inhabitants working in industry or manufacturing.
Ten years later, Aalborg’s population had grown to around 97,000 inhabitants. The significance of Aalborg’s industry began to decline in the 1970s, precipitating a fall in the city’s population until about 1990 when it again began to increase. By the year 2000, the service and education sectors accounted for about 60 percent of the workforce, partly as a result of the founding of Aalborg University in 1974. The First European Conference on Sustainable Cities and Towns took place in Aalborg in 1994. It adopted the Aalborg Charter, which provides a framework for the delivery of local sustainable development and calls on local authorities to engage in Local Agenda 21 processes. Nørresundby, on the northern side of the sound, is also a hilly area.